Our family recently had the opportunity to preview math tutoring materials produced by MathTutorDVD. This company offers a full spectrum of math tutoring courses starting with a Young Minds DVD which introduces numbers (accompanied by classical music) all the way up through Calculus 3 and Differential Equations. There is also a Physics series as well as a DVD on Probability and Statistics.
The video instructor, Jason Gibson, has an impressive educational background including a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering, and Masters of Science in Physics. Mr. Gibson definitely knows his material but really explains things in a very understandable way.
We previewed The Pre-Algebra Tutor Volume 1. The 2-DVD set is $26.99 and covers 5 hours of instruction on the following topics:
- Real Numbers
- The Number Line
- Greater Than, Less Than, Equal To
- Absolute Value and Adding Integers
- Subtracting Integers
- Multiplying Integers
- Dividing Integers
- Powers and Exponents
- Order of Operations
My 7th grade son is beginning pre-algebra this year and so the timing for this review was perfect. The first lessons were a review for him but a good discipline in getting back into a math mindset after his summer vacation. I also showed some of the earlier lessons to my daughter who won't begin pre-algebra until the fall of 2011. It helped reinforce things she had learned already and also gently introduced her to concepts she would be tackling in the future.
My high school son (currently studying Algebra 2) also viewed some of the material and it provided a great review of concepts he hadn't used recently. As a teacher, I enjoyed the refresher on topics I hadn't taught in a few years. Math has been an area of struggle for my older kids so I look forward to looking into purchasing more of these materials to not only better prepare me to assist them in math but also to give them greater confidence tackling new concepts.
I also received The Texas Instruments TI-83/TI-84 Calculator Tutor to review. This DVD can be purchased for $26.99 or can be viewed free online. I had never used (or owned) a graphing calculator and was thrilled to learn more about its features. This is a tremendous resource for any student progressing into higher math levels. The calculator tutor offers step-by-step instructions and examples of problems worked out. The 3-disc set offers 8 hours of instruction with 37 topics covered.
DVDs can be purchased individually and prices range from $21.99 to $49.99 depending upon the specific course. The company guarantees that their material will raise grades or your money back so you really have nothing to lose.
They offer a tremendous price break if you purchase their entire line of DVDs--a whopping 50% discount bringing the cost down to $450. If you divided that out to 13 grades (K-high school), that amounts to less than $35/year. Considering that some of these courses are sometimes taken in college (calculus and statistics), you could divide out the cost by 15 years making each year's tutoring costs only $30/year. Have more than one child? Then your savings per student is even greater! If you had to pay a private tutor, $30-$35 might pay for 3-4 sessions--not assistance for a whole course!
Who Should Buy
- Families wanting extra assistance in math (either to supplement their school curriculum or strengthen their homeschool curriculum)
- Individuals providing math tutoring services
- Home educators wanting to refresh their skills to assist their students
- Teachers wanting to build a tutoring resource for struggling students
- Students at any age wanting to improve their grades in mathematics
- High school students brushing up for college entrance exams
- College students needing extra assistance with higher level math or physics
- Adult learners filling in gaps in their education
- Non-traditional college students needing to refresh their math skills
- Any math lover wanting to tackle a new challenge
For a plethora of free math podcasts on the website, check out Mental Math Secrets. You can subscribe to these podcasts through iTunes or watch them directly from MathTutorDVD.com. You'll currently find free video demonstrations on the following topics:
- Rapidly Multiply by 11's
- Rapidly Calculate a Restaurant Tip
- The Secret to Rapid Mental Addition
- Rapid Mental Column Addition
- Rapid Two Column Addition
- Rapid Money Addition
- Rapidly Multiply any 2-Digit Numbers
- Rapidly Square any Number Ending in 5
- Rapidly Square any Number in the 50s
- Rapidly Square any Number Near 100
- Mentally Multiply any 2-Digit Number by a 1-Digit Number
- Mentally Square any 2-Digit Number
- Multiply 3-Digit by 1-Digit Numbers
- Multiply 3-Digit by 2-Digit Numbers
- Multiply 3-Digit by 3-Digit Numbers
- Divide any Number by 0.5, 5 or 50
Contact and Ordering InformationYou can shop securely online through MathTutorDVD.com . If you have any questions about the material before you order, you can contact the company toll free at 1-877-MATH-DVD or contact Jason Gibson directly at jason.gibson@MathTutorDVD.com.
You can listen to testimonials of many satisfied customers from the website. And for additional written reviews about MathTutorDVD.com please visit the TOS Homeschool Crew Blog.
Disclaimer: I was provided a sample of 2 math tutoring DVD courses for the purpose of reviewing and blogging about my experience with this product. The opinions expressed are my own and no other compensation was received.
Hey Jill, I reviewed Math Tutor, also, but was excited about it's possibilities all over again, after reading your blog post! I like the way you tied in their super-savings-plan. Yes, I wish I could take advantage of it. It really is beneficial for my family and I did order the Basic Math for a couple of my younger ones. I enjoy following your blog...
Post a Comment