At the meetings, instead of treats, I'd have a buffet table of books to give away. The books would be the duplicates I had purchased over the years telling myself one or more of the following:
- "It's such a good book. I bet ________ doesn't have a copy" (then I never see them or forget to give it to them)
- "It's only $1" (or $2 or $3 depending on the book and how much money was in my wallet)
- "When Johnny is married with kids, he'll want a copy of his own" (20+ years from now)
- "We love this book and now we'll have a back-up if ours gets ruined"
- "I need a spare to loan out to friends"
- "If I buy multiple copies, my kids can follow along and take turns reading aloud the book for our own home-based reading club!"
- "I'll invite the neighbor children over for a book club!" (highly unlikely given the shameful piles of books everywhere)
The Read Aloud Handbook is definitely a book worth buying over and over. I like it so much, that I pick up used copies whenever I find one. I would like to share this book with one of my readers. Which leads me to announce my first book giveaway. You can enter in the following ways:
- Leave a comment about your own book obsession
- Follow my blog (if you already follow, let me know)
- Subscribe to my blog posts by e-mail (let me know if you already do so)
What makes The Read-Aloud Handbook stand out from other guides is how much of the book is devoted to the reasons to read to your children. We've all heard about the importance of reading aloud but it's so easily skipped on a busy day when we are racing from one destination to another. I really enjoyed reading some of the stories Trelease includes about ways reading has literally transformed lives and families.
The copy I'm giving away was printed in 1995 so not all of the statistics will be up to date (the current ones are probably even more alarming!) but the principles still hold true and I think you'll really enjoy learning from someone who is absolutely passionate about the subject of reading.
- Wordless books
- Predictable/cumulative books
- Picture Books
- Short Novels
- Fairy and Folk Tales
Please spread the word about my giveaway and I look forward to hearing abour your own book obsessions!
Disclaimer: I did not receive any compensation for this review or give-away. It's just a great book I love and want to share with one of my readers. The opinions expressed are my own.